Glaucoma is a term that is used when referring to a number of diseases that can damage the optic nerve. When pressure builds up in the eye the nerve can become affected and cause permanent harm to a person’s vision. While in its early stages, there is the possibility that Glaucoma will not show any symptoms and so it is vital to receive routine eye exams for early detection and rapid treatment. If you or a loved one have exhibited any symptoms associated with glaucoma, contact our Laguna Hills optometry for a consultation.
Here are the types of glaucoma:
- Open angle glaucoma originates when there is an improper flow of aqueous fluid in the eye. When this restricted flow is present it contributes to the intraocular pressure, and can cause a loss of vision and damage the optic nerve if it goes untreated.
- Normal tension glaucoma is not diagnosed by intraocular pressure. This type of glaucoma is detected by the size and cupping of the optic nerve as well as to the loss of peripheral vision. Intraocular pressure may be completely ordinary in normal tension glaucoma.
- Angle closure glaucoma affects the front of the eye when the aqueous fluid is being blocked by the iris and is not able to flow correctly. This can cause pain, nausea, tearing and blurry vision.
- Congenital glaucoma is rare but maybe present.
- Secondary glaucoma arises from another medical condition already being present, such as eye inflammation or severe diabetes.
Here are the risk factors associated with glaucoma:
- Genetic history of glaucoma
- Over 60 years of age
- Glaucoma is 5 times as likely to develop in African Americans
- Mexican Americans have also demonstrated a higher risk to contracting glaucoma
- Asians can be disposed to low tension glaucoma
Here are the options for Glaucoma Treatment:
- Eye drops or oral medication can decrease intraocular pressure
- Use of a laser to help eye drainage
- Implants done for artificial drainage. This would help to facilitate the outflow of aqueous fluid and lower intraocular pressure
Experts In Glaucoma Treatment
We will begin your glaucoma treatment with a consultation. You will receive a thorough examination that helps us gather all the necessary data in order to put together a thorough treatment plan. We will spend all the time necessary to ensure you understand everything about all your options. Our purpose is your overall well-being and we know this is only accomplished by being in thorough communication with our patients. Call now to learn more about how we can provide you the best glaucoma surgery Laguna Hills has to offer.
Schedule a Consultation Today!
Call us at 949-581-1770